What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? I only have a few, vanilla, coconut & strawberry. But the most favorite in my ice cream book, is this super easy vanilla bean coconut ice cream. It brings me back to my childhood in a tropical island.
And of course, I prefer making my own because it’s so clean and easy, just a few basic ingredients is really all you need. And I like my ice cream to melt
28 fluid ounces coconut milk, 2/14 ounce cans - I prefer to use "So Good" culinary grade pure coconut milk, 2/11 oz brick packs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, or may use a flavorless a plant oil of your choice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 pods vanilla beans, scrape center of beans with knife for about 1/4 teaspoon total
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill coconut milk to 45°F or colder if possible
- In a blender, bullet or food processor mix well all ingredients listed above.When using coconut oil add last while blending at high speed as it will harden immediately
- Taste and adjust sweetness. Remember that the colder a food the less sweet it tastes. If desired you may also add a bit more vanilla extract or vanilla beans
- If using the ice cream maker, pour in the bowl and follow the manufacturer instructions to churn the ice cream. Do not over churn as it will become grainy
- Cover and freeze the ice cream for at least 5 hours. It should be firm but creamy.
- Before serving take ice cream out for about 5 minutes. Serve in bowls or ice cream cones using a hot ice cream scoop or spoon
- To heat the scoop or spoon dip in very hot water and shake water off before dipping
- Although this ice cream won't last long, it will keep covered in the freezer for up to a week.