What is this wonder food?
Beans good for you and there are so many different varieties that you never tire of them. Although they're all legumes, each one has a unique appearance and interesting taste, so there's no boredome for the eyes or pallate.
What are the different types of beans? These are just a few of the many, and I've eaten them all. How many of these of these have you tried?
- Adzuki - nutty and sweet flavor with a small, reddish brown appearance
- Baby Lima – buttery and rich flavor with a creamy white, flat-shaped appearance
- Black Bean or turtle beans – sweet and mild flavor and soft texture with a small ovals with deep black appearance
- Black eye or cowpeas or black-eyed peas – distinctive flavor and creamy texture with a kidney shape with white skin and a small black eye
- Cranberry – nut-like taste, creamy texture with a small rounded appearance with red markings on ivory skin prior to cooking
- Dark Red Kidney – full-bodied flavor and soft texture with large, kidney shaped, deep reddish-brown color
- Garbanzo or chickpeas – nutlike taste and buttery texture with a beige to pale yellow appearance
- Great Northern – takes the flavors of other foods they are cooked with and has a flat, kidney-shaped, white appearance
- Large Lima or butter beans – creamy and sweet flavor with an ivory color, flat shape appearance
- Light Red Kidney – full-bodied flavor and soft texture with a large, kidney-shaped appearance
- Navy or pea beans – mild flavor with a powdery texture and small white oval appearance
- Pink – meaty with a slightly powdery texture and small, pale-pink appearance before cooking and a reddish brown color after cooking
- Pinto – powdery texture with mottled beige and brown appearance and medium oval size
- Small Red or Mexican red beans – the flavor and appearance are similar to red kidney beans, but is smaller in size