- Potatoes reached Europe via the New World explorers, gaining a foothold and becoming fifth most important crop in the world.
- There are over 100 types of potatoes available in this country. They all fit into one of seven categories: russet, red, white, yellow, blue/purple, fingerling and petite
- There are four distinguishing factors between each category of potato: appearance, texture, flavor and cooking method or use.
- The potato belongs to the Solanaceae or nightshade family whose other members include tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and tomatillos.
- Potatoes are very nutritious and if eaten without all the extra fat a very healthy food. They contain significant amounts of Vitamins B6 and C, and the minerals potassium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, fiber and pantothenic acid.
- A 7.5 pound potato has only 163 calories, 0 grams of fat and about 13 grams sodium. Skip the butter, sour cream, mayonnaise and other high fat ingredients and you can have a low calorie, nutritious and comforting complete meal or side dish.
- You can grow your own potatoes - many websites have easy to follow information. Potato vines are very attractive and ornamental.
Those that bought this book are also now buying our new book Food First! Enhancing the Nutritional Value Of Meals with Fortified Food. Find both books in our website http://www.flavorfulfortifiedfood.com