February is American Heart Month, so let's start it right. Although heart disease is one of the most common cause of death in the US. Statistics indicate that about 715,000 Americans suffer from heart attacks annually.
You can find more on prevention, detection and symptoms of heart disease at http://www.cdc.gov
In spite of the grim news, there are many ways to have a healthy heart and prevent heart disease.
- Choose a healthy diet of meals and snacks that include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, at least 5 servings a day.
- Replace saturated fats with healthy fats, such as vegetable, olive, or grapeseed oil.
- Limit salt, refined sugar intake and alcohol
- Increase soluble fiber
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Increase your daily physical activity and include both aerobic and weight bearing exercise in your routine
- Do not smoke
- Get annual physicals and if on medication do not skip it
You will find many healthy foods you can easily prepare at home in the book Flavorful Fortified Food - Recipes to Enrich Life