The only existing treatment for celiac disease is absolute avoidance of gluten containing foods or exposure through contact of any kind. This may seem easy but it is not. Gluten is found in many products including makeup and topical creams, and some medications including vitamins. To learn more about celiac sprue and the recommended dietary treatment contact a registered dietitian nutritionist.
Did you know that Celiac disease …?
- Is a genetic disorder; this means it runs in families and the trait can be inherited
- It is both a malabsorption and an autoimmune disease
- Accurate diagnosis includes a blood test and a biopsy of the small intestines
- If left untreated further intestinal damage occurs that will interfere with the absorption of nutrients
- You can live a normal healthy life by keeping a completely gluten-free diet
- If you suspect you have celiac sprue contact the Celiac Disease Foundation or the Celiac Sprue Association/USA, Inc.