Bananas are in the botanical class of berries and they grow in a variety of trees in the genus Musa and they’re available year round. Green bananas are on the hard side and a bit tart, not too sweet, as the carbohydrate has not fully developed into sugar. As bananas ripen they become sweeter and softer, and most people prefer to eat them while they’re still at the “green-tip” stage, a little firm with sweet creamy taste.
Why eat a banana?
- Increase and sustain blood sugar levels
- Get a good doses of tryptophan to help against depression
- Eat a satisfying low sodium, high potassium food to help your blood pressure
- Reduce swelling and calcium loss during urination, provide a sense of satiety and satisfy sweets cravings helping to control weight
- Increase Vitamin B-6 in the diet helping in the production of white blood cells
- Improve digestion with the rich pectins, increase good bacteria in the gut and help with bowel regulation, as well as act as a natural anti-acid
- The inside of a banana peel is good for relieving itchiness from bug bites, and some people have been known to even use it for leather polish
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 Tb honey or unrefined mollases
- 4 eggs mixed
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 1 package oatmeal cookie mix
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Choice of dark chocolate chips, Craisins, raisins or chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- In a mixing bowl mix wet ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix dry ingredients and toss to mix thoroughly
- Make a hole in the center of dry ingredients, fill with wet ingredients and banana slices.
- With electric mixer mix from the center out until banana is mashed, then mix in different directions scraping bowl. Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes. This is a very forgiving batter, so if it's too thick for drop cookies add a bit of milk, if too thin add more rolled oats.
- Drop cookies with a heaping teaspoon in an ungreased baking pan about 1 – 2 inches apart and bake at 350 for 11 to 13 minutes.
- Cool slightly before removing to a flat surface. Cookies with be soft and chewy. For crisper cookies bake for 15 minutes but watch for burning.
- Pair these cookies with a rich and creamy Banana Nut Milkshake or Peanut Butter Milkshake from the book Flavorful Fortified Food – Recipes to Enrich Life for a complete breakfast or substantial snack.